Debating Europe is the online discussion platform launched in 2011 by the think tank Friends of Europe. At its heart is a place where Europe’s citizens take their questions to policymakers and experts, and get a response.
It’s proved to be a popular idea. In 6 years we’ve built a 2.5 million-strong online community of citizens from across Europe, including over 265,000 followers on Facebook and Twitter. So far a selection of over 100,000 questions and comments have been put to 2,500+ policymakers, including the UN Secretary General, 8 Prime Ministers, most European Commissioners, and more than 250 MEPs.
To further the growth of our community, we are embarking on an expansion strategy based on the launch of multilingual versions of Debating Europe.
The first new version launched in February 2017: DebatingEurope/DE is a German-language discussion platform modelled after Debating Europe, but aimed squarely at an audience primarily in Germany.
We’re looking for an ambitious Brussels-based German-speaking Editor to help us develop this dynamic citizen driven platform.
Do you want to join our small but energetic team?
WHAT WILL I BE DOING?
· Tailoring Debating Europe’s content from English into German, including debates, interviews and video content
· Researching topics on a broad range of issues for German-only debates
· Contacting relevant policymakers and experts for interviews
· Preparing and conducting interviews
· Managing the social media channels (Facebook and Twitter) for DebatingEurope/DE
· Moderating comments on DebatingEurope/DE
· Working closely with Debating Europe’s Editor and Project Manager to develop and manage the editorial calendar
WHAT SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS DO I NEED TO HAVE?
· German mother tongue, fluent in English
· Experience in journalism, writing articles to deadlines
· Excellent knowledge of German and European politics
· An engaging, informal writing style
· An ability to explain complicated issues in an interesting and accessible way
· Can leave political opinions at home
· Familiarity with social media, including Facebook and Twitter
· Preferably knowledge of WordPress
WHO CAN APPLY?
This position is open to nationals of EU/EEA member states or Switzerland, or non-EU nationals in possession of a valid work permit.
HOW DO I APPLY?
The position is available immediately. To apply, please send:
· your CV in English
· a cover letter of no more than a page in English
· Examples of written work in German to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 23rd June